Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year's Day and Not a Sammich in Sight

It was New Year's Day. I woke up a little on the groggy side. I, like a few other Americans, engaged in the ritualistic consumption of alcohol to ring in the new year. Also like many others, I performed a little over consumption. This of course caused me to inspect the toilet closely and tell it that it was my new best friend. I am glad that my toilet was such a good friend, as it didn't mind me curling up and passing out next to it for a couple of hours. Just to make sure that there was nothing to clean up on the carpeting.

I don't get hangovers very often. Not drinking helps to prevent the hangover from happening in the first place. However, when I do wake up with that sour brewery feeling in my tummy, I usually want food. I usually want greasy food. My normal hangover fare is the Chicken Fried Steak Platter from Shari's. However, this morning the thought of anything that resembled grease was making my stomach turn a little. So I decided that a nice cold sub sandwich was in order. University Hero is what I decided sounded the best, as they have the best bread.

I finally got my stomach to cooperate enough to actually drive without the though of puking out my window and headed to University Hero in the Timberhill Shopping Center. Closed. On the best day of the year to have a sandwich, National Hangover Day, they were closed. My heart (and stomach) sank as I went back to the car.

Well, my next step was to head onto campus (OSU) and try Big Town Hero. Closed. I was beside myself, not understanding how these food places could not be open on what had to be the biggest hangover cure day. I could understand if I was attempting to procure this gift of gastro intestinal relief at eight or nine in the morning. But I was sandwich hunting at 11:30 in the morning.

I don't like Subway. I was starting to get depressed when that looked like my last hope for anything resembling a sammich. Then as I was driving towards the Subway shop, I remembered Togo's. I wasn't holding my breath that they would be open, as everywhere else was closed too. However, I was pleasently surprised when I saw the "Open" sign in their window. Finally, there was to be something to help me feel better, and I didn't have to go to Subway.

With a large ham and turkey with cheese in hand, I headed home to eat, drink (soda for caffeine) and doze when I could. What a way to start off the new year.

1 comment:

Rob's Media Blog said...

Had to laugh when one of the ads by Google under your column suggested "Stop Drinking Alcohol"!
-rp-