Saturday, March 6, 2010

Stephen King's "On Writing"

I really enjoyed reading "On Writing" this term. I have read it before, and had learned a few things then. However, reading it another time through was definitely not a bad thing.

One of the most important things that I learned from the book that can be applied to both this class and my future career, is the use of the toolbox. How to organize it, by having your grammar and vocab on the top, and everything else following.

The second thing, and this is along the lines of the use of the toolbox, is to avoid adverbs. They pretend to be your friends, but they are not. I say this vehemently.

However, the most important thing that I learned from the book, and this applies more to my future career, but still to the class, is to just keep writing. Reading and writing are the only way that writers can keep their skills sharp.

No comments: